Sunday, February 23, 2014

Mentor Text Linky With Collaboration Cuties

I am so excited about this linky!
I am talking about one of my favorite mentor texts: Pink and Say by Patricia Polacco! It is such a great read, it talks about a sensitive subject and sheds light on it in a new direction. This book features the Civil War. It is about a young African American boy (Pink) who helps an injured young soldier (Say). They are both seperated from their units, and Pink takes Say home to see his mom, Moe Moe Bay. I read this book, and I started crying in the middle of it (as did ALL of my boys!) There is such a great way to make a wonderful, deep connection with this!

During this discussion we also incorporated many literacy skills with this unit. We discussed cause and effect primarily, but we also incorporated some character analysis, inference, summarizing. I loved this unit so much I created my own unit for teachers pay teachers. Click the link below to check it out!
http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Product/Pink-and-Say-Unit-1130423

If you haven't read this book before, you should! It is truly wonderful!

Patricia Polacco tells this story for a very particular reason, and you have to read it to find out!


I hope you are able to read it and love it like I do!

Bye Y'all,
Nicole <3

2 comments:

  1. Patricia Polacco is one of my absolute favorite authors!! Pink and Say is a great book!! It sounds like it created some great discussion within your class! Your unit looks great!
    Thanks for linking up!
    Amanda
    Collaboration Cuties

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have encouraged me to go and find this book on my shelves... I had forgotten how good it is!!!! Thanks for the motivation!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete