Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Annotating The Text

When my county implemented the common core, one of the first things that they discussed were close reads and annotating the texts (with a little text dependent questions on the side!) I had no idea what they meant so I was TOTALLY unsure of what they wanted from me and from my students. When I began, my close reads were haphazard. Not only were my close reads haphazard, so were my students annotations. Through several hours of research, I finally semi-understood close reading! However, annotating the text was driving me crazy! My students often lost their sticky notes, or misplaced them, they were falling out of books and off desks! We are limited a certain amount of copies, so copying whole selections were tough. Since we implemented so many new items (on top of being on a brand new grade level), re-typing them was not going to happen!
One day after school a co-worker and I were complaining discussing :) how annotating was working in our room. That's when our annotating the text sheet was born! I eventually developed two others (nonfiction and poetry) and have been using them ever since!
They are wonderful tools to track student thinking, clarifying what they understand, and understanding what they still need help on! I will have students work on these independently. with partners, as a group, etc. They can be implemented in so many different ways. They are free in my store, if this is something you like, please comment! I have included the link below.


I am currently creating an Annotating the Text pack, based on all Common Core State Standards. Each standard has its own sheet, each question pertains to that particular standard. I am hoping it will be in my store by Friday! 

I hope everyone has a wonderful Tuesday! 

Bye Y'all, 
Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment